"Some of these guys cooperate more with evil than they do with God"
FATHER GARY R. HAYES,of priests who abused him and others who covered it up.
This news is very big stuff right now, with Bishops, archbishops resigning from the Vatican and their posts. Admitting fault in sexual matters and stuff. I have not actually followed these cases too closely, so I don’t know much about it, but I still have a lot to say.
Recently there was a meeting of bishops in Dallas to talk about the sexual abuse by members of the clergy, and in doing so, betrayed the faithful.
"To the victim-survivors, I want to say this," Bishop Gregory declared. "If we bishops have learned anything, it is how devastating are the effects of sexual abuse on the children and young people who suffer it. Even the passage of many years does not wipe away the memory of these terrible crimes."
In fact, sexual abuse is very devastating, and I think many of us have admitted our own fight with Satan on sex related issues. I talked a little about this in earlier blogs, when I started. And I think this case is brought up at a very opportune time.
This case has in my mind totally ruined the Vatican. I mean here we are looking at bishops, people who have devoted their lives to God, their whole life is supposed to be centered around God, and yet they too fall to Satan. I think this shows all us the power of Sex and how hard it is for us to fight temptation. I mean if you think about it, if not even the bishop can resist the temptation, then how is someone so inferior to him fight this struggle?
Sure, their case is very extreme but is still fight with Satan. We sit in our world thinking priests/bishops/ anybody devoting their whole life to God must be strong and faithful. Yet they are just humans like the rest of us.
Maybe it’s us, society that put so much pressure on them? Since I for one would hold them up on this pedestal, thinking, they can’t possibly falter ways I might, which makes it hard for them. It’s like they got this reputation to hold and their every movement is watched. So that one time they do something wrong, we catch them and make a big deal of it.
Society is very hard though. Marketing, sales, people all know sex sells. That is why it is overused. It is also the case of envy and greed. We want this, we want that. We want this because that person has that. That kind of mentality is what makes it harder.
The NYTimes writes: Bishop Gregory saw a much different threat. "What we are facing is not a breakdown in belief, but a rupture in our relationship as bishops with the faithful," he said.
So do I think this is a rupture in our relationship or a breakdown in belief. I think for all of us, bishops included, this statement is very true. We still do believe in the Almighty God, however it’s the relationship with Him and others that are hurting. I think the bishops have severely rendered the trust the faithful have on them and have hurt their reputation. But I do think soon it will be forgotten. The sooner it’s out of the news, the sooner we forget.
The reason for this is because as citizens, we need someone to look up to. In a way we need someone to put up on that pedestal. Bishops and Priests are men of God. We listen to them because God speaks through them to speak to us. That is why once they’re out of the spotlight with this news, we will continue believing them.
Now, I am a protestant Christian. From what I know, the Bishops follow the Roman Catholic denomination and Protestants do not believe in that hierarchy. This is from what I think; I am pretty sure about it, but not positive, because I don’t know much. So do we need to put these people up on a pedestal, I guess not. But for me, I guess nonetheless they still believe in God. So up on a pedestal or not, they are still believers of God, who have devoted their life to God. This alone I pray that they will sort this matter out, and settle it soon, because there are millions of people relying on them as well.
I think this news is a big hit to Roman Catholics, and may cause several to turn on the religion. However, the faith has survived a long time under several crisis’, this will not hurt it that much in the long run.
I don’t know what I’m really trying to say in this blog, but simply bringing up the similarities in our struggles as Normal citizens and the struggles of these Bishops. I pray to God to keep us all strong.
Current Events Today:
- Japan, Korea, USA all advance to next round of World Cup.
- E-Coli scare in Ontario, everybody boil their water. Hehe
- McMaster University has no money, they borrow $120M in bond issues to pay for $240M worth of expansion. Article
Friday, June 14, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment