The Realm of Hope and Domain of Disappointment
I was so busy looking at my fantasy pools/teams I totally forgot all about this.
Anyways, found this quote a few days ago:
PRESENT, n. That part of eternity dividing the domain of disappointment from the realm of hope.
- Ambrose Bierce
I found it kind of interesting to read. He calls the past a disappointment and the future a realm of hope. I can understand the "realm of hope" because that is in fact what the future is, hope. Anything can happen in the future and it is up to us to take advantage of this. There is the saying Seize the Day: Carpe Diem. That is what the future is, it can be anything as long as we look forward.
But what catches me is this "domain of disappointment". I don't totally agree with it. Although he has a good point that a lot of time when we look back on life, we see missed opportunities, things could of done differently, all things that could of been but isn't. Although most things are not a disappointment. Because of all things in the past are a disappointment, then as time passes, and things in past are still a disappointment, then that means our whole life is a disappointment, and that is hardly the case.
I would find it hard to believe that life in general is a disappointment. I mean there are a lot of things to live for. Life is worth living for, although not easy, experiences in itself are like a roller coaster ride. There are times when thigns are high, and time when things are low. But could the argument be made that things always go back to where you were? I'd disagree with that, so I won't talk about it.
I think for my life, although many times I always think about what's going on? and dwell on the missed opportunities. However, it's always the case when you look back and see things so much clearer. "Hindsight is always 20/20" is quote from The Practice (TV show). And it is right, when you look back, things are like crystal clear. although when at the time, you will not see it all the time.
But with everything that may of gone poorly, there are the time you look back and think how good it was. And that can't possibly be a disappointment. I look back and wonder why I am in Engineering, although I find some of it interesting, I am not sure it's what I want to do. and I wonder, why did I put myself through this. But then I look at the people I've met, the things I've learned, the things that come out of it makes me happy. I can't say I learned a lot from the work, but it was fun doing some of it. I don't know who this Abrose Bierce is, however his name sounds like he's a religious man for some reason. Which is off for a religious figure to say something like this. If anybody knows who he is, so I don't have to look it up, share. Anyways, I was gonna say I think this is the wrong way of looking at life, and I don't agree with him. Any thoughts or interpretations?
Wednesday, October 09, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment