Happy Chinese New Years
So here I am at work, and one of the Chinese ladies around here comes around and starts talking to the guys next to me. He was talking to me, so she came along, started talking in Mandarin. Went on and on behind me, and when she said something to me, I was like, I don't know how to speak Mandarin. I got to learn. Give me some motivation.
Anyways, so they were telling me, the R&D Manager that hired me, he used to give out Red Envelopes when he was here. He started at $20 a person is what I heard. Then $10, then last year down to $5, I think it's more cause more and more Chinese people came into the company, he'd be out a lot of money if he gave out $20 a person. But unfortunate for me, he retired last December, man, I lost out big.
Today I got to wake up 30 mins later, cause I got my mom to drive my sister to work, cause she went earlier, and my dad did not go to work. Man, and traffic was amazing today. I think tons of Chinese people took the day off today, and man did it make a difference. I don't think it's the fact I left later, cause I got to work about the same time as usual. Anyways, who knew one Chinese holiday and traffic would clear up so well.
I heard today on the news about Nelson Mandela's speech. Man, he totally read my mind. I was posting on this newsgroup about how I think Bush is just trying to take over the oil over in Iraq, and the fact Saddam is there running things into a ruckus, it's perfect timing. Anyways, some guy tried to bash me about it saying I'm insane, got no morals and everything. So I said something back, and perfect today that I heard it, cause I ended up pasting that exact quote for him to read and tell him obviously someone thinks the same as me, good ol' Mandela.
The NHL (National Hockey League) is having their All-Star game this weekend. And frankly, I've kinda lost interest in watching it. This is insane what is happening. Here we have all these guys who are pulling out of the game cause they gotta "nurse their injuries". Man, what a bunch of babies, "oh, I can't play, I gotta give myself some rest". This game was already some non-hitting useless game anyways, it's basically skating around for 15 mins. What a bunch of babies.
I watched this really interesting show the other day. It's a show on CBC called Venture. IT's basically a biography of entrepreneurs and their road to "hopeful richness". So this one followed this fairly young guy in Quebec. He brought this idea, and franchise "Lina's" to Montreal from Paris. It's a sandwich store. Basically it's high-quality, high-priced sandwiches that is maybe made some special way. But the thing is the sandwich costs like $7-$9 for just the sandwich, nothing else. He opened up a show in Shops ville Marie or something? right across from the Marche, I think I've been there, that Marche was great! Much better than the one in Toronto. Anyways, now it was a great story, he wanted to open in December for the Christmas rush, but he could not get renovations done on time, so he opened up after New Years. The first group that walked in ended up walking out, cause it was too expensive, which is what I would of done, those prices are ludicrous. I don't think it can be so good that it'll be worth my $10 for a sandwich. But I wish him good luck, if the idea does work out well (which I don't think will), I'll try one.
I don't know why, but I feel lunch hour is more relaxed today. I got to watch Relic Hunter during lunch today, cause not too many people in the game room. That episode was good, but I did not get to watch the whole thing, I had to go back to work at 1:30. But my snooker game was on today, I won the first game so easily, and second game althought I lost, I caught some bad breaks when I scratched multiple times. But it was a good game.
anyways, Happy Chinese New Years!
Friday, January 31, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment