I read this article that was rather disturbing today. So Great Britain has decided that they would endorse this course about sexual eduation. Now it's the content that they approved is what disturbs me. So it is said that Great Britain has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Western Europe. So in order to amend this rate, or try and fix it, they have decided to promote alternatives to sex, in particular, oral sex. They plan encourage children under 16 in using oral sex instead of full sexual intercourse.
Britain is said to have on average 39,000 girls under 18 getting pregnant each year. This is an astounding rate in my mind. It makes me think how come this rate is so alarming? Is it the kids over there have nothing better to do? when I read this article, I was like, "What in the world are they teaching in school these days?"
So if you promote oral sex, that will just lead to sexual intercourse anyways. Because if they have gone that far, the next mile is just that much closer. I mean in schools, they are promoting sex, by giving out condoms and oral contraceptives. Sure, those are products designed to prevent pregnancy, but it is still promoting sex. It's outrageous the things that are going on.
But then in the other hand, now that the children in Britain are already having sex, and this rate will grow if they don't do something, what can they do? You can't force people not to have sex. It's not like to can ban underage children from having sex. They can't charge more heavy taxes on underage parents, or anything like that, since if they already have the child, their life is probably hard enough without the extra taxes and stuff.
So I think it's good that the country is trying to lower this rate, which they hope to halve by 2010, but it's not exactly the best way to go at it, but then what else is there? The more you tell them no, the more they go against you. You can't force them to do things they don't want to. It's a personal choice, and they have to make their own decisions. You could always lock them up in your basement for a quarter of their life, but how often does that work out well either?
If children want to have sex, then there really isn't much the government can do about it. They can say they're against it, but talking is nothing, it has no affect. But as someone who is not sol old (*gasp*), I find young teens like to go against authority. The more you try and stop them, the more they will go ahead and do it. No matter what it is. I think it's the aspect of seeing how much you can get away with offenses. Only, the results of sex to an underage child is much more than they can handle (probably).
I think the reason so many teens have sex these days because the act is viewed as such a "good" thing. Media makes it look so nice, and everyone wants to experience how it feels. They want to experiment. And television shows it as something that is okay when your young, don't have to wait until getting married, this is not the 19th century, sex is okay, is what television says.
So like I said, I think it's good Britain is taking steps in trying to minimize the underage pregnancy rate, although not the best way, in reality, what other way is there?
Friday, February 21, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment