So I have been talking about this friendship thing lately with some people, I don't think they read my blog before we talked, which is good, unbiased opinion.
So one guy, I don't talk to him much, but he goes to my church, he messaged me one night. So I was saying something about this working has caused an rift in friendships (in general) even moreso than the past few years. We have become detached because we're all so busy, doing our own thing. I was saying over my years I have met a lot of people, and for a short period of time (short is all relative of course), we were good friends, then all of a sudden, everything is off.
So he was saying to me how he wishes he was more like me, in that you can meet more people, because he believes even a short friendship is better. So then I said to him, well, nothing happened at the end, so in essence, there was not much gain. But the thing is it was a lost opportunity. How? Because maybe if one thing were different, we could of been real good friends. And that is a lost opportunity, because what could of been more, ended up being nothing.
so he countered by saying how it's God's revelation. If God wants us to be real good friends with someone, then it'll happen. And in some ways that is true. But then i said, well, although God provides us the opportunity to meet people, and start a possible friendship, how can we say the end result is what God wanted. I mean he provided us with this opportunity, but if we don't cherish this friendship, then how will it grow? He gave us many opportunities, but everytime, do we turn the other cheek, or do we embrace the sitaution?
I don't really know, but I think a lot of times, we probably turn the other cheek. I know for me, I am kind of sad that although I meet all these people, a lot of times they don't turn out to last long, which is a shame.
Which brings me to another question, has our fast paced lives rules over the pace of friendship. I would think friendship takes time, a good one i mean, and is it because in the Western world, everything has to be fast, comes at once (ex: internet, coffee, service), that we just don't wait for a friendship to develop? It's an interesting thought actually, are we just impatient to see what happens? Or do we not work enough to make things happen? Or is how things turn out just not dependant on much besides how it was supposed to be?
Friday, February 28, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment