Sunday, April 15, 2007

Journey of Packing

So I am headed to Australia for JUST six months, and it's not too long. Everyone acts like six months is so long, but it's really just around the corner. although it is true that six months could become longer, however I cannot work on that timeline right now. Although I am blessed to have so many friends who I already miss. Even those who I have not spoken to for more than six months, I will miss them too.

I realized something though while I was packing, I have a lot of wordly possessions. I think I have accumulated a lot more since I graduated, because the last time I moved to just downtown toronto, my room seemed more empty as I left. Now, my closet, shoe rack, drawers, are all still full. That is a sign I have a lot of worldly possessions. I look at my two packed baggages, and think of the things inside. I can honestly say I may cry if one of those pieces are lost while getting down under. I think about the cost of all the things inside, I cannot believe I spent so much money.

I feel ashamed to look at all my things and still have so much left over. And yet so many people have so little. I think when I come back I will clear out my closet of clothes that I have not worn for more than two years, and donate it to goodwill.

However, lately I've realized something else too, that I take good care of my clothes. The past few months I've lost a little weight, and I managed to fit into a pair of jeans I bought in high school for the third time. The third time is because I also lost weight a few years ago and fit back into them. Then I gained and couldn't, now I've lost again and I can again. That is one benefit of keeping clothes, they may fit again. And I've managed to get many many years out of this wonderful pair of jeans that are so comfortable. Also, my shoes. I have a pair of shoes (there were two pairs, but one got stolen at the end of 2006) that I bought in 2003 that look new. So think I can be proud to a good steward of the things that I use my money for. the downfall is I still keep on buying and that means I just keep collecting more.

I have been truly blessed by God, He has blessed me with more than I have need over the years. I leave behind a lot here in Mississauga/Toronto, but I know God has a lot planned for me in Australia.

No comments: