Saturday, June 02, 2007

My First AFL Game!

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post, mostly because I didn't subscribe to internet last week. give a little perspective, I'm still living in a hotel but am moving into my place next week. so I'm paying hotel-like rates for internet, and last week I got notice that work may not pay for my internet. it's really absurd, something I fought, but i subscribed again this week and going to expense it again. So now I'm gonna upload more pictures.

I've learned a lot about myself last couple of weeks, God has been doing massive teaching. This morning I read Matthew 6 about not advertising the good deeds you do, be humble and keep secret the things you do. this really spoke to me because this morning i did some community work with my church. i don't think by me saying i'm trying to get people to think more of me, but i want people to know who I am (a Christian), and what I believe. I did some personal training at the gym on Friday and the trainer asked what I was doing this weekend, I told him I was doing some community work, helping people clean their homes and stuff. He then asks "Why?" in this tone like "why in the world would you do that?". So I explained well I do it because there are people who do not have the ability to do it for themselves, so the churches get together to help those who need help. Anyways, yes I've told people what I am doing this weekend, but only if they asked. It was just a good reminder to be careful to not boast, but be humble. I was also reading this morning about about giving up all our worries to God. I've been worrying a lot lately about many things like money, love, friends, and just life. But this was kind of like something a friend said last week too, putting our faith in God and giving Him all our worries. can't get enough of these reminders. It reminds me a lot of a couple I know, every time I see them I know they have a lot of worries and a lot of things going on in their lives. I know they struggle a lot at times, but I also know that they are strong in their faith, and no matter waht happens in their life, they remind themselves that they have God, and that's really all that's necessary. I need to convince myself that a lot.

So I live in the downtown of Brisbane, and it has given me a lot of revelation of how hard it is to live downtown Toronto. The thing is most of the people you tend to meet live outside of the downtown, in fact you must be really lucky to have friends in the downtown. But so here is the thing, if the people you meet are not downtown then you always have to travel to the suburbs to meet them. Man this is hard for me, I feel so demanding to only do things if I can get a ride. So I have respect for the people who live in downtown Toronto that I know. How they will travel uptown and stuff. I shall do the same thing too, travelling is expensive.


A good night shot of Brisbane


Tonight I went to eat at a restaurant by myself for the first time here in Brisbane. When I travel in the States I have no problem doing this anymore, I just find a place with a bar and I sit there. I feel like the guy in Lost in Translation, except there isn't much lost in the translation, because they speak English here. But just being lonely in a foreign country. Anyways, I didn't feel too bad about it, in fact I didn't mind it at all. I bought the Entertainment book while I am here, so I have to use it to get my money back. And I can't always go and eat with people, and can't always wait until I do. So I just go myself to those I can get discount when eating alone. I don't mind, I can try and speak to those around me a little. So I went to this Turkish restaurant that people said was really good, and it was good. I had this casserole and rice pudding for dessert, both really good stuff. Tender lamb in the casserole, and a just right not too sweet rice pudding. Good stuff!

I did my free personal training sessions this week at the gym, and man I was sore the whole week. I did a lot of back workouts, and my back was killing me until Thursday (I trained on Tuesday). But this is a good thing, it means I am working out my muscles that I had not been working out. It may mean I am overexerting myself, but it was meant to see what my peak is, so it's ok. So I'm on a training program now, need to get in shape.

Met a couple today, and it gave me hope. The guy was Chinese and the girl was caucasian. This is the first couple I've met that is this mix, it's always the other way around. This gives me hope that it can happen. Good for this guy!

Did I even talk about anything and what I've done here? oh, last weekend, finally remembered. Went to see an Aussie Rules Football league game. My new coworker who is from Brisbane and I had never met brought me. It was really cool, I picked up most of the game pretty fast.


View of "The Gabba" in Wolloongabba, where the Brisbane Lions play!


But I was looking forward to was three quarter time getting myself a meat pie. Now for all those who do not know, apparently Australia is known for its meat pies, and the place to get it is at footy matches. So I had beer in one hand, a meat pie in the other. So here's what happened, three quarter time, I go to the shop that I had been eyeing the whole time that sells meat pies. A guy was standing there with money in his hand, and the guy behind the counter was putting the pies in a box. He ignored both of us, and also the other girls just went about their thing, both ignoring us. So then finally I said to the guy, you closed still selling, then they yell "we're closed." But that time me and the other guy had been standing there for like a minute waiting, and they didn't say anything to us. Needless to say we were both pissed cause not by the fact that they were closing and we didn't get our meat pies despite seeing they had plenty to sell, but the fact they didn't say a thing knowing we were standing there. How inconsiderate! Anyways, the game was really fun, it was soo competitive and funny how the fans of the different sides were at each other throat, but not dangerous threat. The funniest thing was the away team was beating the home team, and then near the end some guys held up a banner that was in the colours of the away team saying "Game Over" on one side, and "Thanks for coming" on the other. This was funny cause this was not their home stadium. hahaha. Anyways, it's my goal now to go to rugby game so I can get into the aussie sports.

This is the view from my seat, yes I am close. But apparently if you sit up high it's better and more expensive. Totally different than anything else.


On Sunday I went to church, and then afterwards went out to lunch with a bunch of korean people. They were all "students" by the fact that they came here to study English. And oh man it was hard talking to them, I could hardly understand them. In fact, as one of the guys I met had clarified for me later, they got the impression I worked for Woolworths, the grocery chain. When I meant that I was going to Woolworth, to buy groceries. I think I thought they asked (and perhaps they did), what I was doing today. But in fact what they meant to ask was what I do (like as a job). So when I thought, what am I doing today, well I am going grocery shopping. Anyways, when it was clarified, it was too hard to straighten them out, so I just let them think I work for the supermarket, no biggie, what's so bad about that? Anyways, it's amazing how many korean students there are here studying english, most of them are still in school but some have graduated or out of school, and have still come. One guy works in Korea for a cosmetics company, and has travelled around alot to I guess promote their products. But he still came to study, his english isn't so bad, not as bad as others, but it's amazing how everyone comes here to learn.

Next week, I am going to Noosa and Maloolaba. Await more pictures.

Took this one morning this week, after it just rained. Right outside of my window. Beautiful. But the rainbow disappeared within seconds.


And here are a few more light boxes with design that I like.





Here is my photo album so far. I don't upload everything, only the ones I like or I think are interesting and worth seeing from someone else's perspective. And also not to bore everyone with everything. My Photoalbum

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey! reading ur comment abt travelling alone.. yea.. taiwan for me last year was bad for the first week.. i remembered i really wanted to cry that one time when i was in this MASSIVE CROWDED cafeteria and eating by myself. and it wasn't like it was SO bad.. but it's just when u're alone and lonely in a massive crowd.. it really sucks.. and it sucks that i had to pay a LOT of attention to kinda understand what they were talking about ... so TOTAL aloneness... sigh... it's weird.. i think in north america being alone isn't so bad.. and maybe in australia too.. but in asian countries the aloneness is like a massive blow in the head. i think i vowed then never to travel alone... but u just can't help it sometimes :P