Sunday, June 02, 2002

So hard to make it

So I was reading this interesting article today when I got home. It was on the headlines in yahoo. What the article is about is Steven Spielberg finally earning his college degree after 33 years.

So here is a guy, with a few Oscars on his resume, tons of money, fame and stardom graduating from Cal State University with a Bachelors of Arts for Film, gee, yeah right?

The times have changed so much, it’s like you almost have to get a University degree before anybody will even look at your resume. Otherwise, it’ll get in the trash right away. Look at Steven Spielberg, drop out of University three years in and he’s made it so big. Schindler’s List, Indiana Jones Trilogy, E.T., Jaws. These are just some of his great movies he’s made, there are many more. This guy has made it in his field of choice with only a high school degree to back it up. And if you look at people from I guess I can say his generation, you didn’t even need a University degree to make it in this world. Bill Gates I think (and I emphasize think) dropped out of school and that’s all I remember off the top of my head, but there are probably tons of others as well.

There is a lot of irony in this story. First and most obvious is here is a guy who dropped out of the Film program at Cal State and obviously made it huge in this industry nevertheless. Secondly, they mentioned back then he applied to University of Southern California Film School twice and got rejected both time, and now he sits on their board of director. How ironic is that? Number three is he’s taking courses at Cal State under professors that studied his material when they were students. How is any professor going to fail their mentor in their class, that’s just not going to happen. And for his Advanced filmmaking class, he handed in Schindler’s List, gee, you think he’s going to pass the course? This is an Oscar award winning movie, you this the Academy would disagree if you failed him?

Basically, Spielberg was in a sure-win situation. But I’m not trying to take away credit from him. I am sure he went through a lot when he was young, a lot of criticism as well for his filmmaking. He’s probably paid his dues.

It says this is his most prized degree. Spielberg holds multiple Honorary Doctorate Degrees from several Universities, most recently being last week at Yale. And I would totally agree with that. I mean this is the one he technically earned, as opposed to the Doctorates that were in honor of his works.

So thinking at this, so many people in his generation can make it big without a University degree. And now, you won’t get anywhere without at least a University degree. It’s not impossible to make it without one, or say a college diploma, in this world today, it’s still very much possible to make it big with a college diploma, but it’s still some form of degree. But what I’m scared of is what’s next? From what I think, in either next generation, or the one after, the bar will be held at Master’s degree minimum. I feel sorry for them. I feel bad enough for myself going through University, if they have to go through more, that’s bad. So God bless the generations to come.

So let me tell you about my day, I had a rather good day. I had to umpire two games today, 2PM and 4PM games, so I was outside for 4 and a half hours. So I have a tan now, but I did put on sunscreen. So I think I was good for the most part. I was so scared to umpire, I had never done it before. Cindy put me at first base, which I find is the most active position but I took on this task. It was okay for the most part, not too many close calls. But then some friends from another team came and just stood near me behind the fence. They were not a distraction, but I was intimidated, I have some people watching my every move. But it was cool, hadn’t seen some of them in a while.

The second game I umpired I was placed at second base courtesy of Cindy again. I did not like this position. I was always trying to make sure I was not in the way of the fielders, last thing I want is to be in their way. A ball got hit towards me, I moved out of the way, I looked back, the girl has the ball, motions like she’s gonna throw it to first or something. I tried to get out of the way, but she didn’t throw it. So I asked her, was I in the way? She was like, “kind of”. So I was sorry for that, but where am I supposed to stand? I’m second base ump, everywhere around me is fair play, and there is no safety zone (which would be out of bounds or foul territory). So oh well, and experience I’ll remember, and for rest of year do not have to umpire another game.

I went to my friends place afterwards, we had a BBQ and I cooked it all. I was impressed, the stuff turned out really good. My friend Vivian picked me up and we went over together and got there early, so we watched my friend Richard marinate the food with our direction. It was good Richard. For those of you who want to try, we used Maggi sauce (a clone of Soya sauce) and sugar, that’s it. So it was nice to see everyone again, and we might do it again next week, probably not bbq, but get together again. It’s always nice to keep in touch with people.

So everyone have a nice day tomorrow.

Current Events today:
- Talks of Paul Martin resigning from Liberals at Liberal Party convention
- Golden Jubilee celebration for Queen Elizabeth, 50 years since she has taken the throne.
- Sunday (June 2) is the Ride for the Cure marathon along Gardiner and DVP. Both highways closed between 3AM and 2PM.

No comments: