Tuesday, July 16, 2002

Difference between Men and Women

Of course I need to break this topic down, it’s way too broad to talk about. What I want to talk about is the difference between working for a women and working for a man, working for being like immediate supervisor.

I have had experience with both worlds and the in between, I’ll get to that later. First off, last two summer I’ve worked at CIBC. Let me tell you, the bank is full of women. The ratio must if not 1:1 close to that. For both summer, my direct supervisor has been a women. In fact, both summer the people I’ve worked around have mostly been women.

In this setting, there is a lot more chit-chat. The break happen much more often and then the chatting starts about several things. Last summer, countless times we talked about weddings (because one of them was getting married), talking about kids (one of them had kids), and then tons of other stuff. This includes all personal stuff like buying a house, car accidents, little things that happen. The topping on the cake happened one day when they started talking about bras and breasts. I think this happened a few times. They’d be talking about how after babies, her breasts were not has perky. She’d countless times refer to this mousepad she have of her family when she just had the second baby, and how her breasts have changed so much. Anyways, this is too much information. Even at that time, I knew I had to get out of there, me and this other guy decided to leave the room, we could not hear more.

So this is the stuff you get when you work with women. Especially when your on a team, and I was “seconded” in this boardroom all the time with them. So talk goes on forever.

The second scenario is happening now. I am now working for a technology company, and let me tell you, the guy girl ratio has got to be more like 10:1. Now in this environment, it is totally quiet. Guys do not talk. I tell you, almost everyday you get this period where you hear nothing, it’s absolutely quiet in the whole building. It is kind of weird, everyone is so focused on their work. Everyone is staring at the computer screen, reading a book or a spec.

Any talk that goes on is totally different. During lunch, any talk that goes on almost always is about something that either has a computer in it, or needs a computer to run. By that I mean electronics and software games. My coworkers always talk about the games they play, or DVD players, home theatres, oh, and cars.

So it’s weird not having the talking environment anymore, I kind of like that more. It seems so much more relax, and you get to know your coworkers so much more. I know so much about my coworkers from CIBC, and their everyday lives. Yet I don’t feel the connection as much at my current workplace.

Okay, now, the in between. By this I mean homosexuals. Yes, I have worked for a homosexual. Yes, they are not really in between, they are of one gender. But close enough. Sure, this guy was not a transsexual, so he’s not really in between. But I worked for a gay guy when I worked retail in Eaton Centre. I didn’t know it at first, but eventually I found out (not the hard way). But this guy was fair, and really nice to talk to. Nothing wrong with working for a gay person, they act like any other person, so it’s no ig deal.

So conclusion, if you need absolute focus when working, try not to work around too many women. If you like the occasional talk, then that may be better for you.

Current Events Today:
- New plans for the World trade Centre site revealed today.
- Palestinians disguised as Israeli soldiers bomb a bus near a Jewish settlement, then shoot at the people trying to escape killing 7 and wounding 14.
- Workforce in Canada getting older, says census. (That’s because all the young people are getting canned because of the lack of seniority.)

No comments: