Monday, August 05, 2002

What makes people like me quiet?

Wow, I am totally not dedicated to this blog anymore. I need to update it more often. Anyways, last blog seemed to spark some interest in what I have to say, and I am pleased. It sparked some interesting stuff, and this leads me to today’s blog.

Now there are quite a few individuals who would say I am quiet, a shy guy. Now I would not say they are totally wrong, in fact in many ways I could agree with this. However, there are of course reasons for being quiet and shy.

Reason #1: Not feeling comfortable with the environment. By this I don’t mean the skies, the weather, I mean what is around you, the surroundings. When you talk into unfamiliar territory, many people tend to shy away from being noticed too much. Try not to offend anyone the first time around. I think I get this a lot, when I go to places, I need some time to adjust to what is around me.

Reason #2: Not feeling comfortable with the people around you. This is one of the biggest things with quiet people. It’s the fact that you don’t feel too comfortable with the people around you. Now it’s not necessarily to say that they are boring people, or that their personalities clash, it’s that at that moment, nothing has made them bond. I think this is one of my major problems when I am around people. It’s the fact I don’t feel comfortable around them. I could not say I can tell them anything that is on my mind. I think that is one thing we should all strive for, is that to find people we are comfortable around. That is really the whole best friend issue. I think for me, I have made a lot of friends in my time, that I try to get to know people, however there is always this obstacle of something holding the relationship back from taking it one or two steps further.

I think one of the things that tend to make myself quiet around people is the fact I don’t feel very comfortable around you. That is not to say you and I clash. But it does mean there is something between us. Maybe we just don’t get to talk enough to really be closer friends. I couldn’t say I would share my whole life with everyone. However, if could say on a good day, I would be willing to share more when I feel like it, and if you ask. I don’t go around spreading my deepest thoughts about myself to everyone.

This may also mean because when we talk, there does not seem to be much interest beyond the old dull stuff like “how are you doing”, “what have you been up to”, that kind of stuff, I find it rather dull. I can’t say I don’t ask the same stuff, but it really ends when you almost always answer something like “it’s going good’, “ah, work, school, etc etc” those kind of answers. If you look at the answer “it’s going good”, where is the really to go with an answer like that? I mean it’s good that everything is going well, but what comes after that in a conversation, it’s harder. So try as much as possible not to answer peoples’ questions with answers that end conversations. I know sometimes it’s hard, but try once in a while. And I will do the same.

Reason #3: Childhood experiences. Reflecting back on my childhood, I would have to say there are times that things have happened to affect my life now. When I was in elementary school, in the early years, whenever there was a parent-teacher meeting, the only thing that ever came out of it was I talk too much in class. Every single year I’d hear that from my parents. And also, I’d hear from my parents to think about what I say before I say it a lot as well, not from the meeting though. So now, I can honestly say I think a lot before I say anything. I try not to hurt people’s feelings, not to offend people, what will they think about me if I say it? All these question go through my mind before I say something. Maybe I just think too much now, which causes me to talk less.

So these are three reasons why I, and probably several others are quiet people. I can honestly say I have not cared as much lately, and I say more, but that is only when I feel totally comfortable around those people. So still something holds me back, and I hope one day I will be able to be comfortable around more people.

But again, back to something I mentioned in my previous blog. If I try to create conversation with people, and I keep on getting like one word answers, obviously that conversation is going no where.fast. And if I am not getting anything to work with, I guess too bad.

Alright, if you made it this far, thanks for reading my rants.

Current Events Today
- Heard many speeders everywhere this weekend, via 680 news. Heard of a motorcycle popping wheelies at 220km/h. Heard of a cop with siren on chasing after someone at 160km/h, and having a vehicle going 180km/h passing him. Hahaha, dumb fool. And a lady going 160km/h and giving the excuse she was running out of gas, so she needed to speed to get off next exit ramp.
- I heard Friday night, JDS Uniphase recently sold a company it had acquired a few years back when it’s stock was about $155. It bought the company at that time for about $700 million. It now is selling the company off, while it’s stock is at about I think $4, and selling company for less than 2% of what it paid for at $9 million. Good business there. Buy high, sell low.
- Two stables burned down at the Woodbine race track two nights ago. This killed about 31 horses who were trapped in the two stables.
- Canada overtaken last day by India to place fourth in medal standings at the Commonwealth games. Even though they finished with so many medals, it is at somewhat a disappointment that they fall to fourth, because it has always been a running between England, Australia, and Canada for top three medal finishers. Oh, correction, they had more medals, but India had more gold, so they get third place.

No comments: