The World That Science Built: technology, Tolerance and Terror
Today was a good day. Work was as usual, but then I went to a lecture given by John Polanyi. He is a Nobel Prize Winning Laureate in the Chemistry field. He has been awarded the distinction of University Professor by the UT. Only 2% of the faculty can hold this distinction, and currently only 30 faculty members hold this title.
The title of the lecture was “The World That Science Built: Technology, Tolerance, and Terror”. Here is some information on John Polanyi if you want to know what he did: about John Polanyi
Anyways, it was the first time I was in Convocation Hall since Frosh week. I never though I’d get to go in it again until I graduate, but I was wrong. The building is quite nice I must say, but the seats are so uncomfortable, I could not get comfortable the whole time.
However, I pretty much did not understand anything the guy was talking about. Everything that came out of his mouth was beyond me knowledge and went completely over my head. Even during the question and answer period, I understood some of the questions, but once he spoke, I was gone. I don’t think he clearly answered any of the questions, instead opting for going around each questions with a whole bunch of jargon. Of course that’s why I think, but then I didn’t understand it, so what else can I say?
What disturbed me most was the way the crowd handled themselves. Every time a person asked a question, there would be multiple people getting out of their seats to leave. This was like so rude man. I was disgusted with the respect they show for him. And I’m not just talking about students who don’t know any better or think they’re too cool to be there, people of middle age did the same thing. Can’t they just wait until the discussion is over? It became so noisy that once Prof. Polanyi finished answering a question, the MC said that was the end, because so many people were getting up and leaving. I mean you wouldn’t leave in the middle of a movie, why this lecture? So to all you guys who left early, not cool man.
Today’s drive downtown was a breakthrough. It basically took me about 15 mins to drive downtown. This is astounding time in rush hour, I don’t know where everyone went. The fastest it ever took me around that time was 30 mins upwards to an hour. So where did all the cars go? Anyways, I was thankful cause I was late going downtown.
Funny thing, my friend and I bought a pizza to eat and we ate it on the way down. I finished it up at Sandford Fleming building and placed the box down while I went to the washroom. My friend stayed outside. I walked out, saw the box and the cardboard had been cracked (Pizza Pizza crack the cardboard) so naturally I thought my friend cracked it, but I could not find him. Then he came, and he asked me if we won, I was like, you cracked it did you not? He was like, nope. Somebody had actually come and cracked it, and he said it was this guy nickname Mr. Hat. Cause he saw him while walking. What a guy, taking advantage of every thing.
Current Events Today:
- Ron McLean is not coming back to Hockey Night in Canada. He said he could not give in for a lower salary that Peter Mansbridge, news anchor.
- Ozone hold shrinks, splits in two. Article
Monday, September 30, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment