Thursday, March 06, 2003

Interesting thing happened today. Actually, about an hour ago. So I received a phone call on my call phone. I picked it up, someone asked for me, and I hear this girl say, "this is Lisa". So I was like "oh hi Lisa". But if you don't get where I'm going by now, I had absolutely no idea who this was. I don't know any Lisa, and I cannot recognize this voice. See, I went cheap, no caller id on my phone, so I rely on voice recognition (which usually works) and people identifying themselves. So anyways, we started talking, and I still had no idea who this was. Finally this person made a statement that finally trigered who I was talking to. It was no "Lisa", but "Elysia", silly me. Man, that was a hard one to figure out. Funny thing is I don't think she knew I had no idea who she was at all. =) But I decided to tell her, it did not harm, just something to laugh about.

Yesterday nights drive home was amazing, it was the smoothest drive I've ever had driving home ever, even including weekends. Every road was free of cars and smooth sailing. I don't know what happened. Opposed to this morning where I was going average of 30-40kph all the way to work. Anyways, I can't figure out why all the higways were so clear last night. I figure people stayed late at work thinking they'll avoid most of the traffic if they stay later. Keep on doing that, I could use more drives like that home, took me about 35 mins to get home, one of fastest times, and I hardly broke spead limit, almost 100-110 max all way home.

So I've been telling you about my work. The R&D Manager who hired me retired in December and his office has been vacant ever since. So after the restructuring/layoffs, it was revealed my Team Leader was no longer my team Leader, he was being assigned to another group, and my new I would have a new Team Leader. Anyways, this week, my new Team Leader moved into the vacated office of the recently retired R&D Manager. Meanwhile, my old team Leader just happened to be on vacation this week. Interesting how that worked out. anyways, my point is I was so surprised, cause it seemed my past Team Leader was slightly above this new team Leader, and now he jumped over him and looks like he got a promotion. Meanwhile, my past Team Leader, it looks like he got a demotion, cause he's got no team, and another person is above him now. Anyways, if I were him, I'd be searching for a new job, there is obviously no room for him to move in this organization. Heck, for all I know, my past Team Leader took this week off for interviews or something, who knows?

Since my new team leader took this office now, it feel he is even more distant to talk to. Which got me thinking, if I ever got some promotion or someting, or was given a room, I'd wonder whether I'd want to take it. Because, being away from the people who report directly to you, it gives this sense of distance of seems like your superior. And then you cannot relate to them anymore, because of this barrier. I'd want to be close to those around me, especially those working with me, or under me. Too much distance is not good.

I think I gotta start discovering myself now. I've been working now for about 8 months now, and I have come to a conclusion that I am not a great programmer. I still don't dread it, but I know I am not great at it, and there are probably tons of people out there who are better at programming than I. So what am I good at? do you have any suggestions. I guess I think about this because next year around this time I will of almost graduated, and move on in my life, what am I good at?

I've got one more thing to talk about, but I'd like to think about it more before I write about it, it's about softball this summer, lemme think about it.

No comments: