Tuesday, June 24, 2003

This blog will be devoted solely to things to do with sleep.

First Article

So been doing some research, and I found an article that says that "Long Hours, Little Sleep Hard on a Guy's Heart". So the study basically was cnoducted in Japan says that men who work 60 hour weeks and get less than 5 hours of sleep a night are twice more likely to get a heart attack. This is quite interesting actualy, although it's not totally impossible.

It makes sense, the long hours are probably because lots of work to do, and it's possibly stressful work as well. So then when you don't get enough sleep, you don't have time to unwind, and then all that stress is just built, causing blood pressure to rise, and eventually the heart attack. Of course I'm just over-simplifying it, but that's just a general jist.

so then I think, this condition is probably more likely in Asia than America, because the fact is people here probably on average work less hours than in Asia. that si why the study was preformed in japan. But here is the weird thing just thought of, why then is the life expectancy so much higher in japan then? that totally contradicts this study. But anyways, I still believe it is true.

but they so not conclude the same can be said for women. But I don't think this can be said that it doesn't apply to women. It must, I mean if they can function the same without increase risk of heart attacks, then waht are they doing that men are not?



Second Article

The second article I read is about chronic headaches. The title is Chronic Headaches tied to snoring. Basically this article talks about how "A new study shows that people who experience chronic headaches are more likely to be snorers, and that this nighttime nasal ruckus could be causing their own daytime head pain."

This is an interesting find, because lots of us don't really know whether we snore at night or not. Only until someone who sleeps around us tells us do we know. There is some inconsitency in the report, because it's based on self-reported analysis, so there may be a compromise, but still this is the start for some background into it.

But what is not known is which one causes the other? But I guess for all those who go through headaches during the day, do you know whether you snore at night? You know who you are! hehehe

No comments: