Wednesday, July 02, 2003

This is an interesting news article I read the other day. It talks about how studies were made on English speaking and Mandarin speaking people. What they found was that Mandarin speakers use both sides of their brain when speaking, whereas english speakers only use one side of their brain.

the reason for this is because of the many different tones in the Mandarin language. They say one half of your brain is used for melodies and tones, so that is why speaking the Mandarain language requires both sides. The english language does not have many tones in the words, which explains why only need one side of the brain.

This is an interesting read for me, because I too have been trying to make both side of my brain more active. I have tried to learn Mandarin, but I have been unsuccessful in doing so because I have lacked the motivation. but also I learned from a friend that by using your non-dominant hand more, it trains the other side of your brain. So at work and at home, I have switched the side my mouse is on, and also switched the buttons. this messes many people up because they are not used to it. Especially at work, everyone who comes to try/fix something on my computer are like "you do it instead", because they can't stand using the different hand and buttons. hahaha. oh well.

My Canada day was good. I got a chance to have a nice lunch with my mom. We went to have sushi. then afterwards, I went downtown to go blade with the Hosanna church group. We bladed from SkyDome to almost Humber, and then back. Had a nice dinner at Spring Rolls, which I will amend my critique at a later date. Then we headed back to Mississauga because we did not want to get stuck in traffic watching fireworks.

We laid down in Jack Darling park near my house, which was really nice. Got to lie back, watch the stars. And then looks at the fireworks. I've never been in a park at night, but it was surprisingly good and relaxing. We bladed from a plaza 5 mins away to the park as well, because the park parking lot closed. So I had a good night. Some good exercising, and chilling. But I had to go home afterwards, because have to work the next day, and I was like 2 mins away from home, so no point in going to oakville, then coming back.

Congratulations to Vancouver for winning the Winter Olympics for 2010. Now Toronto will never see an Olympics for another 10 years minimum. hahaha. it's okay, less tax is what it means. The Olympics have not been in Canada since 1988, so it took 22 years for it to come back. so maybe my 10 years is an understatement.

oh, had an interesting conversation last night at dinner. say two couples go dinner. now your seated at a rectangular table, 2 chairs on each side. How do you sit? Do you do the a couple on each side of the table, thus having your other on the same side of the table as you. OR do you sit at opposite sides, so you stare at them all dinner long. So that means say 2 girls on one side, two guys on the other, sitting across from your other. what do you think? I think I personally like the one couple on each side. Not sure why really, I just think that's a better idea.

No comments: