Thought of something interesting to write about. If you meet two people in a day, one is generally attractive, and one is generally not as attractive, who would you try to get to know more? Would you pay more attention when being around this more attractive person as opposed to paying more attention to the slightly less attractive?
I've been thinking about myself and how generally I can say that I probably do show favourtism to the more attractive, especially when it's a girl. I think it's a natural thing for a guy to pay more attention to certain people. This by no means may be the end result of course, because over time we may find the more attractive to be hard to talk to, and the other being so easy to talk to.
So why is it that this might occur? I think it might have to do with the fact of our desire to fit in. It's a status thing and you may be cool be association, and generally the more attractive are more popular.
For me, althuogh I might say I pay more attention to the more attractive, this does not mean that my attention to conversation or willingness to talk to either one is different. If I am in an ok mood to talk to new people (sometimes I have a mood swing where I don't want to meet anybody new), I can say I try to get to know everyone, whether they are attractive or not. From the questions I ask, and the type of answer I get, I try to gauge the ease in which we talk with one another. It's very normal that we just get along with certain types of people more. So I do not think there is anything wrong for me to try and gauge the ease in which our conversation is going. I also try to find out if the answer I receive are welcoming answers, meaning are the answers I get to the point, no follow-up question possible, I do not want to talk type of answers? That way, if this person really does not want to get to know me, then why am I bothering?
This goes for both male and females, no favourtism whatsoever. However, it's no science to know that some people do show favourtism out of the fact they need status. That they won't try so hard in becoming friends with the average-attractive but take more patience and tiem in developing a friendship with the slightly-more-attractive. Now we may all say this is a negative thing, and if a person just wants to get to know me because I'm beautiful, then I don't want them as a friend. or you may think that this person is not worth knowing because they are superficial and only want to get to know the slightly-more-attractive.
However, perhaps one should also look at themselves. When you meet people are you doing so in a welcoming manner? It's an equal relationship, both sides must put in the effort to meet one another. Look at your answers and think, am I closing off follow-up questions? Am I inviting this person to get to know me a little more?
Why this came up is just because I was thinking about two new people in our church. Now I've gotten to know one of them a little more, this person (A) has a slightly-above-average radar of ease in talking to. Meaning my analysis when talking A tells me that we get along, and the conversation is just slightly-above-average in the ease that it happens, meaning we don't have to try too hard.
Then there is this other new person (B). When I talk with B, I have a hard time getting making conversation. Although a lot of the questions to A and B may be the same, the conversation just seems to feel more tense and less easy. My analysis of the conversation is that it goes no where fast. I am picking my head for questions to continue the conversation or some way to get out of if for the sake of not feeling awkward in just standing there.
The fact that my personal opinion is that A is more attractive that B has nothing to do with the fact I would talk more with A than B. The fact does not come to personal appearance, it's general ease of conversation. However, I wonder what other peoples' motivations of thoughts are.
Do you tend to try to talk to the generally above-average looking people and not try as hard in conversation with the the less-attractive? Do you think people in general try to get to know the above-average looking first, then the approaching=average next?
What about your perception of me? I do genuinly try not to show favourtism, but from other's points of view is usually more true. So what do you think of me?
Thursday, January 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment