Where would you go to work? How many digits would you take to accept a job to work ni Iraq? So interesting thing happened a few weeks ago. I got this email in my inbox from this job website saying there was a potential match in my profile and my desires with the job. I looked at it, and it was a job in Iraq! I was like, ha-ha, this is funny. Then I looked at it again, and saw the salary was >$150K, US Dollars. I was like, whoa, lemme read this again. Tell you the truth, ever since this email it's been on my mind. Would I take this job if I had a chance? First, let me set this straight, I do not have a chance because a) I'm happy where I am b) I am not qualified for it c) I am not US citizen, something that you must be. But let's say hypothetically I got the offer, would I take it. If a,b,c are all not true, then I must say I think I would take it. Think of the experience you'd gain, the stories you could tell. It's definately something to tell your grandchildren one day. I told some friends this, and they were like, Iraq! are you crazy? I wouldn't do it. But to me, it's like the job is in a military base, how bad can it be? It's a fair bit of money for a contract, and if you live to tell the story, what a story it would be.
I told this to several people, and they all had the same negative reaction, except one person. This person was very supportive of this frame of mind, and said to me, maybe this is your "missional" mind, yuor eagerness to be abroad and willingness to go to great depths. Tell you the truth, the opportunity to serve the Lord over there didn't cross my mind at all, it was purely money and story. But now that i think about it, it definately would be a good opportunity to spread the word of God. In a country that is Muslim dominated, and countless soldiers just wanting a place of belonging, it is prime place for "attack". Anyways, all dreams, but I must be pretty unhappy where I am, and they better offer something really good to get me over there, this was enticing though. Then I saw this article today : US Soldien kidnapped in Iraq, and I just laugh because of the danger.
I recentl read the book Lance Armstrong: Every Second Counts. Ever since I came back from Europe, and saw the last stage of the Tour de France, I was fascinated with Lance Armstrong. So I bought this book thinking it was some motivational book. It was, in fact it was very motivational, but I must say reading it has somewhat diminished what I think of him. Yes he battled cancer and overcame it, yes he has won I think seven Tour de France's since, created a Cancer awareness foundation that has been super successful, and probaby has been involved with several other charities. But one thing that stuck out in my mind from the book was that he and his wife seperated. Over the course of the book, he wrote of how in love he was and then towards the end it diminished, the love, and if not that, their lives together. I find it sad reading about a man who has conquered so many things, yet I guess neglected his family. I pray I will not be this way. I still have great respect for him, but I just feel somewhat I guess he's not as invincible as he may think he is, or perhaps some people think he is. News of note, his new girlfriend is Sheryl Crow.
So here's a question, when is taking an interest in someone's life going over the top? Let me paint you a picture, you attend a fellowship, and the someone (let's call this person AB) is so passionate in knowing one another that he (let's for the story sake AB is a guy) wants to know what's going on in each person's life. This is great I think, I truly do think we all should know what's going on in our friend's lives, in each other's lives. We actually do need people to listen to us, to know how we feel, to help us along. AB always wants to help you, and that's great for both. But then, back at church you decide you kind of want to start doing something there perhaps. So now you may have some stuff going on at campus, some stuff going on at church, very normal for those who probably read this, wouldn't you say? But now, AB thinks you are taking on too much, what with school and all as well. He decides to approach someone who goes to your church and ask them to watch out for you, make sure you are not taking too much onto your plate. Now, is he stepping over the line, or still well behind?
I can see benefit and drawback to this. But for me personally, I'd say to AB to come to me next time, don't go to someone else to watch out for me. I can take care of myself, I appreciate your help, I have prayed abuot this and I do think I made the right choice. Stop trying to manage my life. I don't know, perhaps it's my "individualist" thinking, but I kind of feel AB is stepping over the line. I can see the argument for the other side, but still, you don't need to bring external parties in, deal with it with me, and don't go behind my back. What do you think?
Campus Challenge is almost coming. And although it's been a real struggle getting this conference off the ground, I think it's shaping up to be very good now. We have been blessed with some additional help that has really made a difference. If you want to register, CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
Another question, what do you say to a friend who has walked away from Christianity? Perhaps they feel they need to question it more, not take it for granted, or just flat out don't believe anymore. What do you say in those situations? In my days, I've been presented with this situation more than one time and still I do not know how to approach it. For now, I simply listen to them and what they have to say, try to understand their situation. I don't offer any advice (mainly because I have none to offer), so let's hope for now just understanding their situation is good enough. What do you do in these situations?
Monday, April 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment