It's really starting to heat up here, but it's been a beautiful heat with hardly any humidity. I woke up earlier yesterday specifically to go to the beach. I got there, many families but in comparison to later on in the day there were not many people. I just sat down to get my tan, dove in the water to cool down, and enjoyed the surroundings. We need better beaches in Toronto! and closer too!
I've had some good times whilst here. Two weeks ago I went to the 70s! That's right, I went to a 70's party! I tried to find some clothes that reflect the 70s, but I was not even close to matching some of the outfits others had. Mind you, most of them rented, but not like I spent very little money in comparison either. Basically KC (the host) was having a birthday, her husband and her had just sold the house, so they decided why not hold a 70s birthday party before leaving the house! what a great idea! They each hired costumes, rented a light that spun around the main room like a disco ball, catered for food, and lots of fun! Anyways, pictures for your enjoyment.
This past weekend at my church here in Perth I spent three days seeing the same people. Friday night I was invited to one of the pastors house to have Thanksgiving dinner. It was American Thanksgiving, and there are a lot of Americans at the church, so they hold one each year, and invite the Canadians too. They watched football (taped from the morning), had turkey, and just great conversation. Then Saturday I went to their Annual General Meeting. I wanted to go to the actual meeting but when I got there I got caught up in helping out with various things, that when I had a chance to go, I think I'd rather help out more than go. Anyways, they had a celebration dinner afterwards where they had about 200 people for a potluck dinner. it was really good, but very well organized. Then of course Sunday rolled around and I went to church.
This weekend was a special weekend for the church as well. They call it their "Whole Hearted Followers" Sunday. This is their mission as a church, to be Whole Hearted Followers and they have this elaborate survey and commitment that they give to the whole church to devote their life each year to our Lord, and make a commitment each year on areas of growth. This of course is a good idea, and it seems to work very well in this church. I was thinking of filling it out myself, but forgot to bring the pamphlet and so figured didn't want to take another package. They make everyone fill it out, hand it in, so that the church can be involved in furthering each person's relationship with Christ. I'll probably still fill it out, just not hand it in since I won't be around very much longer. It's good to know that this church has a direction it wants to head, and are taking steps to moving towards it.
A few weeks back I went to Melbourne for a week for some training, and what a great week to go. It was Melbourne Cup week, this is basically Melbourne's biggest week of the year. It's a horse race, and many people from around the country come to Melbourne to go to the races, and basically to dress up. You got all the guys in the suits (this year's common theme is the gangster look apparently, so white hats, white shoes, black suit). But the true highlight is seeing the ladies dressed to the 9s. And the big thing here is the hat, you gotta have your racing hat. But the funniest thing (and this is what I am told, I didn't see it first hand) is that all these girls get all dressed up in their fancy dresses and hats, and get pissed drunk. So much so you see girls sprawled on the grass just pissed drunk. oh yeah, very classy!
A week of working there pretty much reaffirmed to me why I like Melbourne the most. The European inspired town with the alleys of surprises (the best stuff are down alleys), the restaurants/shops/food stores that actually open late (passed 6PM), and the variety of things to see. And I went to Great Ocean road. It was actually quite fascinating to see the 12 apostles. Basically these structures are free standing rock formations in the water. They are there because at one point in time they were attached to the mainland but over time the middle section had eroded giving rise to what looks like something that arose from the ground, but actually is something split from the mainland. Some have fallen over the years, but really an amazing sight to see.

Torquay, NSW. Home of all the major surfing labels and big surf competition each year. I went surfing here!

And the 12 apostles. Oh, there aren't actually twleve.

No comments:
Post a Comment