Sunday, May 26, 2002

Waking up early in the morning today, going downtown, to go uptown to CCSA kickoff bash. So I’m on the GO train heading downtown, kind of bored, and Exhibition station was approaching, and just around there are several billboards. So I took a look at some, when one struck my attention. It was new I think, and it got to me so much, I quickly took out my Palm to write it down so I would not forget, and I can write about it.

So what did this sign say? It said
Are you the father? Be sure
DNA Paternity testing


So why did this bother me? I was thinking to myself, why would a company put this on the huge billboard? Questions like these only cause problems, big problems that affect lives.

What would happen if a father saw this, and then causes doubts. First of all, if the father brings this up to the wife, she would totally freak on him. That is a no win situation. What is worse is if they go through with the test, and finds out he is not the father. If he decides to split, then he just ruined the child’s life, no father. Again, a no win situation.

Personally, I think that was a dumb line to write no the billboard, but on the other side is it did serves it’s purpose. The purpose of billboards is to attract attention and cause people to remember it. That is what marketing is all about, and it succeeded in it’s goal. But why is it causing my troubles with it?

I think it’s the fact that I’m thinking to myself, that question should not even of been a question at all. If ever you wonder this question, there is already something wrong with that relationship. From a Christian perspective, obviously you think to yourself they should not of had sex in the first place. Usually these questions only occur with two partners who are not married. But say they are at least bf and gf, still, if you start thinking that question, that relationship is obviously not very stable. But is it maybe the fact that the guy does not want to believe that they are the father? If this is the case, and it turns out he is the father, I can bet they will not get married, and if they do, divorce in a few years. It’s obvious the guy does not want the relationship.

But is it wrong to think this question? I mean, having a child is a big change in life. If it just so happens that the child is not yours, yet the woman is insisting that the baby is his, then the guy is technically relieved from all duties and responsibilities. He has nothing to do with the baby. So then in that case it was good that the guy questioned this, otherwise, his life is changed forever. But again this brings back to the fact if he did not want this question to be brought up any time soon, he should not of had sex in the first place.

Another question that comes to mind is whether a girl would actually accuse just some guy that they are the father of her child? Raising a child as a single mom is a big responsibility, and she will most likely want a man there to raise the child with her. She most likely does not want to be alone, and this find just some guy she thinks she can convince they are the father. Now, of course it is wrong for the woman in the first place to accuse the man. But can we blame her? All she wants is a family to raise the child in, a mommy and a daddy. She is just looking out for her child’s well-being. So in that sense, we can see why she would do such an act, but that does not excuse the fact she should not of been just telling any guy.

But now I ask, why would she tell someone they are the father if she knows they are not? It’s most likely because she might want the child to be raised by a better father than the real father. Again, she is looking out for the child’s well-being. But again, goes back to fact, if the girl does not picture her life with a man, why is she getting in bed with him to bring out tons of possibilities. That’s just stupidity.

So what happened today, I walked up from Front (Union station) to Wellesley along Bay in 20 mins. I thought that was quite impressive, because it usually takes me 20 mins to walk from Front to College (campus) in 25 mins. But I got there at 11:30AM, which tells me it took me no longer than 25 mins. I was outside all day, at CCSA kickoff bash, at our team practice in the freezing cold. So what did all this bring me? Well, I went to my friends b-day party later that night downtown at her condo building. It was amazing, her sister arranged everything, amazing stuff, helium balloons, catering. So if Elaine Goh ever reads this, great job on the party, truly one of the best I’ve ever been too.

So what happened at this party. I kept on getting accused of being all red (from alcohol) just because I got a tan/burn on my face. My friend’s (Freda) mom came down from her place, and asked me “Did you drive here? Did you have a lot to drink?” She thought I was drunk or had a lot to drink so she did not want me to drive home. I had to explain to her “Auntie, I only had only glass of red wine, I walked up from Front to Wellesley and stayed outside all day, which is why I am red.” She finally believed me.

I think I love talking to parents. So I decided to pull out the Cantonese to talk to Freda’s mom and aunt. I heard them speaking it all night, so I just decided, heck, why not, it may make them more comfortable too. We had some nice conversation, and Freda’s mom also was kind enough to offer to drive me home as well, since she was heading home back to Mississauga too. That was very kind of her, and I am grateful. Our conversations in the car were not long, but nice. Mrs. Goh was talking with Freda’s aunt along the way in Cantonese, and she was like, “Oh, Jonathan, sorry for speaking Cantonese.” Then she remembered I spoke it, and understood it, so it was alright, so we all talked along the way home. I like talking to parents like I said, they have so much to share, and what is best is when they start sharing stories about their children when they were little babies. What great stories.

So Freda, sorry for turning you down for dinner, I told your sister if everybody turned her down, you’d get sad because nobody wants to share your birthday with you. So Happy Birthday to the girl with the greatest name, Freda Goh!

No comments: