Attack of the...
So yesterday night I was watching premiere of “Bats” on CityTV. This was one of the most horrific movies I have ever seen. What happens is (Now close your eyes if you don’t want to know what it’s about) this scientist breeds these bats that are omnivorous (they eat everything), in specific, they go after people. This was one of the most disgusting movies I have ever seen. These creatures were disgusting, they looked like demons, camera shots of up-close angles of the face and it was disgusting.
So this got me thinking, what would ever happen is an incident like this happened? I was recalling back to first year, our whole class had to walk across campus (I go to UT, so across is a long walk) to SMC and we’d walk across Queen’s Park. The squirrels in there are huge, I don’t know what they are fed, but they are humungous. So a bunch of us jokingly talked about how we better treat them well, otherwise one day they’ll revolt and I don’t want to be attacked by squirrels, those things are nasty up close.
But if anything like that ever happened, it would be like end of the world. Sure, in movies the people somehow manage to survive the biggest disasters (Bats, Armageddon, Spiderman), but in real life what would happen? I mean do you think NASA will ever deploy a team of oil-riggers to go into space to stop and destroy this massive meteorite headed towards earth? Or some man that spits out spider-webs from his veins can stop the Green Goblin? These things happening seem surreal and unrealistic of happening, but if it does, whose going to save the world?
In the movie Bats, these bats over a course of a period of time (I don’t remember the period) will take over the world, because once done with one city, no more eatable things, then they go to the next city. I would be freaked out of my mind if something like that ever happened. I don’t to be chewed alive by a bunch of gremlin-bats. It’s a scary thought.
Thinking about this brought me thinking about the 10 plagues in Egypt in the book of Exodus. Just the thought of a plague like those occurring in the book of Exodus would be unheard of. I think this is almost like the movie bats, except those bats were meant to kill everyone, and the plagues were not meant to kill everyone. But it’s a scary thought to have. I think there have been many shows/movies close to this movie Bats. I’ve been watching Smallville and already two movies have been on some sort of plagues type controlled by some person. First time it was bees and second time it was insects. This little story is being overused now, but it still freaks me out every time.
And then I thought to myself, something like that could really happen. Last summer, there was a plague in Toronto (Southern Ontario and Northern US). It was the plague of aphids. I remember going to CCF that one day, and walking down from Bloor and it just hit me. It was disgusting. All my clothes were full of them, and my hair was loaded with them. It was the most disgusting feeling I have ever felt. I had to brush them all off when I got inside in the washroom, and they literally had to brush them off. I had to wash my hair in the washroom at ISC and they just came out. That was the closest encounter to a plague ever, I know they stopped baseball games because of them. They had to close the SkyDome that day because it was so bad. It looked like fog, but it was actually these aphids. Let me tell you, it was like if you were sitting down, and salt fell on you, it stays there and you have to wipe it off, same way with these aphids, except your standing and they still stick to you. If these things actually bit, that would be even more disgusting.
So what are the chances of anything like this happening? I don’t think it’s impossible. Of course, the Green Goblin is a bit unrealistic, but genetically mutated animals is totally within grasp. Researchers do experiments on animals all the time, and it’s called “testing”. So what if they do some “testing” and they just want to know what happens if they “take out this cell” or “gene”. So if something major goes wrong, it’s totally within grasp that it could happen. But imagine the ramification if something like this happens? It would be the scariest thing ever. Think about this all you science-related students. If your doing “research”, especially those genetic-majors, oh my goodness. Hehhehe. What would we do?
Current Events Today:
- Rumour: Bob Rae to chair the new Hydro One board of Directors
- Alexa McDonough resigns from NDP leader position. Jean Chretien is getting a lot of pressure to resign himself.
- France ties Uraguay 0-0 in World Cup play causing a frenzy to whether France will advance to second round.
Friday, June 07, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment