Goals, and why we (I) can't meet them
Over the course of this summer, I have set my heart at many things I need to do. I won’t mention them all in this blog though. I am sorry to say I have not met many of them. There was this paper I wanted to write, and I was thinking to myself, no problem, one week and I’ll be finished. And needless to say, I put this thing off, I did not want to do it. I still have not finished it, this is pitiful.
Another thing I needed to do was book my G driving test. I am so stupid, it’s simple as picking up the phone and booking the test. Yet I can’t even do that. What is wrong with me? I can’t even pick up the phone to book a test. Luckily for me I had an excuse for a while, because the government workers were on strike, so they did not handle bookings during that time. But still, now that the strike is over, I still have not done it. I think it’s fear or something. Maybe I just don’t want to do it. I have about 8 months left now, so I need to do it soon. Maybe I’ll see how long this hotline is open tonight.
Similarly, my printer broke down during my school year. I did not feel like getting it fixed or diagnosed by calling the HP hotline during the year. But again, stupid me stil has not done it on my time off. It’s just sitting there not working. Why am I so dumb and lazy? It can’t be that hard, I got the number and everything.
There is something special about goals. We set them so we can feel good about ourselves. Whether they be big goals or small goals. There is always a purpose and always an outcome, whether the outcome is nothing has changed, or what we wanted done is done.
For me it’s usually my laziness that holds me back from finishing my goals. I just don’t feel like doing it, and I always say there is more time left. So I wait til the last minute to get it done, if I can get it done. Another reason that holds me back is sometimes fear. With every goal there is something we usually have to do. That something may cause fear in our eyes. Like my driving test, I fear that. I don’t want to fail. But I know if I do fail, and I do my test sooner than later, I can do it again. I hate losing and failing just like the rest of the world. So it is no wonder I can’t bring myself to do this test. I hate failing, and I don’t want to go through it.
But the thing with goals is we must set them all the time. They must be set because we would not grow otherwise. We can’t always stay in our comfort zone, we must strive to do better, and this is what goals are all about. There is a growth process in our lives, and to grow we must do more. It’s like a tree, a tree grows. From a seed, to a plant, and it just get’s bigger and bigger. There is this book that outlines the growth process the best, I love this book. It’s called The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. This is an amazing book, wish I had a copy.
So let’s all grow together. Encourage me and everyone to do more. Exceed expectations and surprise people. Do it for yourself, and not anyone else. Because we want to get out of our comfort zone, and always do more.
Okay, on with my life. This weekend we had a softball game. Was such a close game. We played the RHCBC Apostles. The score ended at 13-10, for the Apostles. Let me tell you, we played a great game, and many laughs and cheers. The one thing that was a great moment of the game was the ending play, when the Apostles got the last out. It looked like the celebrating of the Toronto Blue Jays when the won the World Series. It was so nice to see them so happy. Why were they so happy? It’s because it was their first win of the year. Now reflecting back, thinking about other teams, for those who win often you’d never see such a great display of excitement and joy for a win like this. It was great to see that, Congratulations Apostles.
For those of you who care, I went 2-2 with a run, I am now tied with old-timer Bill Fong for the most hits and batting average lead. And take a look at our new website, it’s great!.
Current Events Today:
- Ernie Eves about to legislate the garbage workers back to work. What a relief to all of us.
- A fossil was found that may be the oldest pre-human fossil ever found
- Several stocks were dropped from the S&P 500 today, they are Nortel Networks, Inco, Barrick Gold, Placer Dome and Alcan Inc.
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment