Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I've been thinking about myself a lot lately, and who I am I guess. And I find myself fairly perceptive regarding people. By this I mean, I can pick up names easily, even if they are not told to me. The way I do this strange actually, like I guess some ways are just listening to others talk, or looking at pictures and recognizing who everyone is, or even reading peoples' blogs and knowing them this way. I've been wondering whether this is weird, how I can know so much about a person, or maybe not so much, but just enough, so that it almost looks freaky.

What makes me think this I think is from this past Campus Challenge. Many times, I would either meet someone, or encounter someone, and I'd already know who they are. Like say for one instance, so one of my friends introduced me to a couple people, two of them. So youn know, introductions, and that was the end of that. But then the next day I think I sat down with those two people I met, the person that introduced us, and one other. Then I was implcitly introduced again, and I was able to remember both their names, and they were like, "how did you know?" acting all suspicious or something. And I was like, hello, I met you two yesterday. I guess it's just a case of who you want to remember. And I guess I'm just not all that important, or perhaps it's not me, and they refuse to remember new people.

I don't think it takes long for me to remember a name, and I have to say, it's easier for me to remember a girls name than a guys name, I think that's just natural for me, just because I think I talk more easily to girls. But we'll talk about that issue another time. But you know, I think it's just I want to remember peoples' names, because to them, it means two things: 1. I respected the introduction enough to rememeber them. 2. I have some alteriror motive to remembering who they are. Let's hope they don't misunderstand, and think it's the first latter.

But another funny thing is when I know the person's name, and I had never been introduced to them. I think I just enjoy knowing who people are. But I would never go and ask someone "whose that over there?" Because asking that type of questions just brings more questions that I'd rather not answer. So I just listen to people around me, finding out who is who, and just being perceptive of what's going on around me. For example, I was with two friends once, and one of them saw someone they knew. So they talked, and then he introduced us to the person he was talking to. But instead of saying "This is ___", he said "have you guys met?". And naturally, I don't know why, but it's my instinct if I know who they are to say so. So I was like "oh, your __, your __ sister right?" So of course, dumb me for saying this, but then she had this odd expression on her face, like, whoa, I've never met you, yet you know who I am? Anyways, don't know why my instincts are like that, I mean I could naturally play dumb and be like "nope, nice to meet you", but no, I have to say I know who they are.

Anyways, I think it's just natural for me to try to know everyone. By knowing a little about them, it makes conversation easier I think. But at the same time, if this person is some paranoid person, then they'll try to distance themselves, but then that's their problem, I mean how can you automatically deduce that I'm a person you don't want to know, just because I know who you are.

But I can understand how this quality can scare people away, because people like their privacy, they don't like strangers knowing who they are. But I just can't help it. But if the situation is I know who they are because they have some blog, then I think they should expect it, because by putting things on the web, there are going to be people you don't know who read it. This happened this past weekend. I sat down with some people I don't know, and so I introduced myself. Then they introduced themselves, and since I knew where they were from (the group, because someone else from there I knew went there too, I just know, can't explain it), I was like, "oh, I know you. Your __, I've read your blog. Then everyone started laughing, because it was like, someone's heard of you. Funny jokes afterwards, like someone was like, "he knows things about you. It's like, 'so how did that thing go you wrote about, did it go away?'." All jokes of course, but she ws either embarassed I knew who she was, or was weary that I knew who she was. I explained how come I read it, but ah well, up to her to decide.

See, it's encounters like that, that I should be more weary as to whether I should reveal my knowledge. Last thing I want is for them to feel uncomfortable.

But everyone who has a blog should be aware that if you write something, someone you don't know will read it. So if it is a secret, try to keep it to yourself, because people like me will remember it.

No comments: