Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Continuing with my reflection on school, this installment focusses on year 2. This year was generally pretty good, my marks went up, I enjoyed some of my courses, and I found some really good TAs that really helped me when I was in need. I must say, this year was the year of the TA for me, because I got help in almost all my courses and I ended up with better marks as a result of it.

My group of friends started to wilt, but I really did grow a good friendship with specifically two girls in my class, both of which now I hardly talk to, sad as that is. No other reason but the fact I switched to Computer Engineering after second year and they stayed in Electrical Engineering.

I started going back to CCF, and I really started enjoying going there. I started to see more a purpose to being there, and saw the affects of this fellowship on me. Sure I still did not serve this fellowship in an one task, but as a devoted member I continually went every week.

One thing I remember happened this year was I went to MOntreal for New Years. It was rather awkward I knew because I was actually going with my ex-girlfriend of all people and other as well of course. I still remembering telling my cousin over Christmas that I was going to Montreal for New Years with friends, one of which was my ex-girlfriend. She said to me, "so, are you thinknig of re-kindling the past again?" I can't say honestly I never thought about it, but I knew it's not what I wanted, and although tempted while I was there I stood my ground.

But honestly, going there was one of the best moments in my life. I had a blast being there, my first time on vacation without parents, and really only went on vacation maximum twice in my lifetime. All the partying, the drinking, the clubbing, all so much. We went club-hopping, big expensive New Years celebration as well. One defining moment while I was there happened as we were trying to get onto a bus. There was this big snow bank between the bus and what was supposed to be the sidewalk. As the bus stopped an old lady was trying to get out. She slipped a bit and automatically I reached for her helping/supporting her (sacrificing myself in the wet snow) to the sidewalk. She thanked me afterwards and then yelled at another male friend we were with who was on the other side and did nothing. that was funny, we got on the bus, and the bus driver yelled at him too for not helping. I really had not even thought twice of not helping, it just happened instinctively, and I surely hope I can still do such a thing now. But I remember that moment so vividly, because it really hit me, how such a little thing mean so much.

I remember second term being hectic, because I was also actively seeking a job. I remember exam time constantly calling one of my contacts I met at CIBC in the summer after my first year to give me a job in her department. And after a at least a month of calling, we finally got something settled and I got a job. I was so happy because I no longer had to search. I still remember my first day working, went to Commerce Court for a meeting right in the morning. I think I went to about three meetings that day, primarily to hold down a seat to represent my department only. I knew nothing of waht they were talknig about, we were going through requirements for specific products of the project. Totally over my head. But that summer was one of my best, I learned so much about business that summer and from my managers. At that point I was almost sure I wanted to work in a bank, because I enjoyed it so much.

I think the reason it seemed so nice there was becuase it was so personable. The group I was with was majority women, and women like to talk, and I enjoy these environments. This was the primary reason I wanted to work within the bank, because I could actually have conversation with people, unlike many companies in tech industry as I would learn in the future.

Thinking back this was quite a dull year, but wait til year three, so much happened that year and I learned so much.

No comments: