Have some time so I thought I'd post. So continuing with the school reflections, let's look at third year, argulably the year I learned the most from, not necessarily while I was there.
So third year was the year we apply for internships. I thought my experience was good enough, my grades were not spectacular but decent enough that I could get a job. I spent countless hours applying to as many jobs as I could. And I had to say to myself, unlike some other people who applied, that I wasn't going to settle for some job I know i can get, I had to go for something that may be harder to get, but I wanted it. So I applied to several that only some of the top students would get. And as interviews started rolling in, I did not see my name on the list.
They had the dumbest system ever, boards listing who got what interviews. So you know exactly who is piling them in with interviews, and who is not. What even made the fact I was not getting interviews was the fact there was a guy in CS whose name was Jonathan Cheung and he was getting plenty of interviews! man that sucked. So first round ended, and I came out without a job.
The one job I wanted SOOO BAD was a job in Japan, with Epson. I did not care it was little money, I wanted to go and experience it. And I got an interview. I was so happy and I was so confident I would get the job. I had built this dream in my head where I went, all the things I would do, all the things I would see, I had dreamt a whole life there. And then came the news, I DID NOT GET IT! Man I fell into this state of depression because I wanted it so bad. Which brings me to what I learned. If you want it more than God, you probably will not get it. God has a plan for each of us, and we should just let him work rather than set a path that we want. A friend recently said this and I thought to myself, I need to straighten my mind.
The problem is I had wanted to go to Epson so bad I forgot about God. I thought to myself this was the best way, the only way, and convinced myself I had to get there. But I forgot to realize ahat perhaps God didn't want me there. And I learned the hard way. I applied to job in second term, focussing so much energy to those applications that my marks suffered, dramatically!
And after more interviews, I came out with nothing. the year ended and I was without a job. Sulking and moaning as my horrible life of unemployment, not even a summer job cause I focussed so much on these internships.
I decided to email a guy I met at a career fair the September previous to see if I could get a job at his company. I took time to tailor my Cover Letter, to show interest, and see where it takes me. And then he emailed back, and things were on the up again. I got in contact with R&D Manager, came in for interviews, again, hopes up. Calling Calling as much as possible, being given an informal oral agreement of hiring, only to not hear from him for another week. Finally got a hold and he told me they had no money to hire me. can you believe that! man, but I tried to stay positive, say if something comes up to keep me in mind.
Then summer started, still no job, I just sat at home, doing nothing. Then one day I got a call, it was the same manager at that company. He asked if I could come in for a second interview. And then finally I got the job, it was an incredible tireless routine. I felt so blessed I got the job. Things could not be better.
That year was probably the best I've had. I learned while workking, I got to stay home, and most of all, it gave me a chance to help out with Campus Challenge, a ministry I truly loved and wanted to help. It also have me an opportunity to develop friendships and learn about myself. Looking back I wouldn't of wanted anything different. yes I still want to go to Japan some time, but I have no regrets to what happened. Thank-you God!
Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment