Thursday, July 14, 2005

I thought I'd write a bit of what's been on my mind. So just this past Tuesday something that was like unheard of happened. I was going to my car parked behind my church to get the book we've been studying at grad group. As I walked into the alleyway I saw someone in one of the cars belonging to one of the guys in our grad group. I noticed it was not him, nor anyone I knew. At that point in time I realized this guy broke into his car. I had no idea what to do at the time, so I called in to get the guy to come out. I wasn't about to let this guy out of my sight and run into the church to get him.

I calmly went to my own car and got my stuff. By that time the owner of the car was running out. And then the thief was getting out of the car and so I approached him (cautiously). I said to him, that's not your car. And he was so calm about it, acting as if nothing was wrong. That's when the owner was like "that's my car". And then the thief knew he was in trouble, someone on each side and obviously it's not his car. He ran towards my direction and I think he dropped the bag he had stole. I grabbed him, but then realized well he dropped the bag, so I let him run.

This was one of the most unreal moments I've ever been in. Like it's totally unreal that it happened and that I would be there at the time. I called 911 to get the cops. You ever notice when you have a problem, it's not an emergency but it's police worthy that you automatically call 911. I was thinking as I was on the call, this is not an emergency, I am holding up real emergecies just by calling them. The operator was like "is this an injury..." (and she lists a whole bunch of critical emergencies, and I was like, no, this is a car break-in. I felt so stupid. But no one knows the number to call the cops. Why cna't they make some common number like "119" or something (119 being reverse of 911). Anyways, I realized after the cops got there that I gave them the wrong direction the guy ran. I said he ran north, which he did, but I failed to tell them he then turned to go west. Maybe if I had been more explicit the guy would of been caught. But oh well, the thief was not some professional car thief, just someone whose probably fallen on hard times and desperate to get anything he can.

This incident was on my mind all night actually. The owner of the car goes to me, I should of just gotten out of the way when he ran into my direction, who knows if he had a weapon or something. Seriously the thought never crossed my mind. I wanted to stop him. Maybe it's the "guy emotion" in me. But only afterwards did it occur to me, what if he had some weapon. Would the thief of used it on me? What if he had stabbed me?

Thinking about it, I don't think I would of done anything differently. I would of still tried to stop him, then let him go because he dropped the bag. It seems like something I would of done, because seriously it might just be too much to detain him and all. I am no cop, I'll let the cops do their jobs.

And what if he did use a weapon and I had been injured. I don't know, if there was a way to go, that might of been in actually. Seems much more of a story then just dying of natural causes don't you think? Not that I want to die, just thinking. But at the end, maybe I should of gotten out of the way, it's not worth it just because he stole something worth under $100. But if it ever happens again, I doubt I'll act this way.

Interesting thing while talking to the cops. There were two of them and they were so cool. It was like sweltering weather and they were sweating buckets. We were all making jokes how because of the vest they have to wear, and rding around with all that weight on bikes, it's absolutely mindblowing how exhausting it is. But one cop goes to me, like no matter how hot he is and exhausting the job is, he wouldn't trade it for anything. Just this passion that the guy has really inspires me. I mean we all complain just standing or walking outside. But this guy is like wearing all this gear around himself riding a bike around town. And he's telling me, he loves it. It gives me much more respect for our police officers.

No comments: