Last weekend was Easter, and as I was sitting in the sanctuary that Easter Sunday service and watched as people were baptized, I was also reflecting on the time when I was baptised and also the testimonies in general. First I thought about when I was baptised and how I went up there with my testimony. I think I have two faces sometimes, because often times I have no problem speaking in front of people but actually I really suck at public speaking. But this testimony, as nervous as I was I went up there. One of the guys who was being baptised the same time as me chose not to go up and say his testimony, this made me more nervous because I didn't know there was an option. Nevertheless, I was thinking back as I went up and said my testimony, trynig toremember all the public speaking tips I've learned over the years and I must say that was one of the speeches I can think back and be happy, cause I don't think I was horrible, and it was from my heart.
This year I was thinking afterwards, sometimes these testimonies aren't really interesting. I mean yeah I want to hear peoples' story, but I was thinking, "man, if someone decided to scrap their testimony and instead went over to the piano and broke out in a song to either tell their testimony, or tell a story about them would be great. I would find that so amazing and truly from the heart." I know, I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon, but wouldn't that be great? I wish I had musical talent to break out in a song.
One thing that has started to make me think a little these days is I hear and am myself caught saying this too, that there is not enough people to take up some leadership role within the church (and church related things). I know I've said this before as well, but it's started to make me think a little. Is there really not enough people "stepping up" (as we all like to call it), or what is the real problem? A few people were talking this past week about a certain ministry. Many people may be interested in participating in this particular ministry but because there "are not enough leaders", some people may have to be turned away from participating. So this got me thinking, are there really not enough leaders? This could be true, and probably has some truth to it, but could there be something else? I made a comment how I did not hear anything this year about a possibility of joining this "leadership", so perhaps no one was really looking for more'leadership', so how can people "step up"? True those who want to can just volunteer, but sometimes people are just in need of that extra push, just a simple question by the existing leaders and that just might be it.
I think this is really important actually, for most ministries, that the previous leadership at least try and find more leaders as well. When I was on the committee for CC, we struggled immensely to find people to help out in this ministry. We did understand as the committee to be mindful of those who may want to serve, try to hold sessions where people were interested can come and inquire, but I would (but didn't really) go as far as perhaps ask people who I think might be good for specific jobs. I don't think that's so bad, in fact I kind of think it's a good thing cause we all need that extra push once in a while, and people may see things in yourself that you don't see. Anyways, it just got me thinking today whether there really "aren't enough leaders"?
Sunday, April 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment